Friday, March 2, 2012

WHAT A GAME!



What a game. I just finished watching a delayed recording of the Welsh Triple Crown victory over England. The match had everything a good rugby match should. It was fast, hard-hitting, good offense that was stifled by great defense, a fantastic try, and a dramatic finish. As a fan of the English team I was a bit sadden by the final score but not by the play of either teams.



I have to tip my hats to the Welsh who, as the visiting team, had history and a homefield advantage to overcome. The game was initially a kicking contest between Leigh Halfpenny of Wales and the foot of Owen Farrell. Both kickers showed icy poise under immense pressure throughout the match.




As the game rolled into the late minutes both teams still had the same fire, grit, and determination that they had shown at the beginning of the match. In fact it was through sheer grit that Welsh centre Scott Williams was able to strip Courtney Lawes of the ball before he bounced a perfect kick to himself for the games lone try at the 76-minute mark.



At this point, I thought the match was over; but the English crew showed valiant determination by marching the ball inside the Welsh 5 metre line when as time expired the English back David Strettle crossed the tryline but was unable to touch the ball down.



As I watched the slow motion replay over and over again, I started to cringe on the inside as it became apparent that despite a valiant effort he was unable to put pressure on the ball across the tryline. Nevertheless, it was a fantastic ending for an amazing game. For an American who had to suffer through an uninspiring NFL football season it was a refreshing event and has given me proper motivation as I roll into my first practice of the 2012 Spring campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment