Friday, April 15, 2011

New Position

Along with the new season I have been given a chance to play a new position. I am to be one of the Flankers on the Gladiators front five. I am excited about the opportunity to play a skill position and maybe get to hit a little more. Since, I have never considered myself a big guy (I am about 180 lbs) I thought I would never see the Front 5. However, this week in practice they asked me to play the Flanker. It is my style to want to know everything about that which I am doing. So as I researched the position I've impressed and humbled by the responsibility and trust that is given me. The flanker seems to be a very active position, one which gets a lot of action, both offensively and defensively. I have gained a few new Rugby heroes in my pantheon now due to me "research". Guys like Francios Pienaar from the South African Springboks. If you have seen INVICTUS you know who Francios Pienaar is. He is the guy who was played by Matt Damon; the captain of the team that united a Nation.


There are a few other guys that I have gained an appreciation for: Lewis Moody of England and Mike Wallace of Ireland. My first game as a Flanker (and the first game of the season) is tomorrow. I am both excited to play the position, but nervous that I will not be up to the demanding task because of my age and inexperience. Yet I keep reminding myself "not to take counsel of my fears" and that if I give my best effort then things will probably workout because I am surrounded by a team of good guys. So as I strap up my boots tomorrow whatever butterflies are in my stomach at least I will not have the weight of a nation on my shoulders like my hero Francios Pienaar.

No comments:

Post a Comment