Monday, October 17, 2011

The Chicago Blaze



We played the Chicago Blaze this week. Unfortunately I was unable to play because of work. It was an away game about an hour and a half away from our home pitch so there was no possibility of leaving work for a few hours to make the game. The team fielded just 16 players and that is what made the difference. At the half it was 24-10 I think the match ended 34-10. Once again inexperience was an issue, but by the midway point of the second half the bench was an issue. The report I got was a majority of the players where hurt and worn out. With no replacements or fresh legs to insert into the backfield we could not produce any offense.



Another issue is that we keep changing player’s positions in the middle of the game. I am of the opinion that unless you have vast experience on your team, moving players around from how they practiced the week before is bad business. I am ok with fine-tuning a side, such as: moving a Fly-half to Center or a Center to Wing. However, we were moving Forwards to the Backfield. These movements took place not because of injury but because the powers that be wanted to leverage experience in the Front 8. At 24-10 I think you lose more than you gain because you have upset the continuity of the offense. Experience makes the game slow down unless you are playing rotating chairs with the players. When that happens a match digresses to become a pick-up game.



We have one more game and I am looking forward to playing in it. This season thus far has been a “ying-yang” flavor for me. I am enjoying the matches immensely but I have yet to complete a test. While my play has been more consistent and more productive I have played less than in the spring campaign because of a nagging injury and because of my work/home schedule. The schedule issue is like a self-inflicted drop kick to the throat.



At age 41 I should be able to control my schedule but life has a funny way of happening between matches. Work, kids events, the wife’s events, and prior commitments all combined to make me one of the most inconsistent participants for the team. This is very difficult for me since I have introduced about a third of the squad to the sport and to the team. I turn 42 a few days after the last match this week.



I dread that my playing time is running short. I don’t know why I feel this way. I have accounted well for myself thus far and there is no rule that says I have to cease playing at 42 or 43. I guess it is just I understand the laws of nature and I want to squeeze as much “Carpe Diem” out of playing as I can. If you have read this blog before you know this is a recurring theme. It is like an itch between the shoulder blades because I cannot seem to scratch it and just focus on the “now” and let the future settle itself. Maybe this week I can lay my burdens down and focus on the match not the fact that time marches on. The Rugby World Cup has kept me focused and motivated. I am seeking to have an inspirational game this week one that will carry me through the off-season and beyond. It starts with the right mindset, and that starts right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment