Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Winning like Charlie Sheen



WINNING makes the sky seems bluer, the grass greener, the air fresher, the beer colder, the women more beautiful. Simply put, Life is better when you are winning. I should know, because we finally won a match. We didn’t just win; it was a one-sided free-for-all scoreapalooza. I have seen these before just not from the side that walks away with the “W”. Actually, this was the most one-sided affair I have been apart of.



During our painful drought from victory I always had fun playing rugby. Despite losing on the scoreboard I always felt I was progressing as a player and making a mark on the team with my hustle and example. Though loses did bother me; I felt we had the talent to compete but not the experience, and you sometimes have to lose to gain that experience. On Saturday all the work and experience fell into place as the team excelled in all aspects of play. Even when we made a mistake the ball bounced our way. I was as though Karma finally paid her back dues with interest.



Granted we played the only other winless team in our league, but the 107-0 differential showed what we were capable of as a team. It justified my faith in the team and the belief that we could compete at this level. It also served to energize the zeal for the team and stoke the fire to play in the Spring. This victory will be a source of inspiration for my off-season training program.



Statistically speaking this was my most unproductive games since moving from the backs to the forwards. I came into the game at about the 50-minute mark replacing on of my co-workers. He had had an outstanding game recording three consecutive tackles in one series. One of the tackles was, in my opinion, the hit of the game. The fury and speed of his play elicited a new emotion that I was not expecting from playing rugby. I felt a sense of fatherly pride in his play. Since I introduced him to the sport at work and encouraged him to play I feel like I have some ownership of his successful performance. The fact that he has played so well of late that I have become his back up is not a disappointment but rather a sense of pride as well.



Yes, rugby has introduced me to myself in ways I have not expected. This is one of the reasons why I love this game. In a sense it is a microcosm of life- everyone has a role to play, you have to keep running to be successful, you have to be prepared to make a stand when needed, you have to be there for your team and they have to be there for you. Like rugby life is non-stop action where you are may find yourself pushing the scrum or scoring the try. Both can challenge you in ways you never expected; and both are sweeter than wine when you win.

No comments:

Post a Comment