Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Riot



We played the Chicago Riot this weekend. I did not get the start for the first time in two seasons. It is nobody’s fault but mine. I missed practice the last two weeks, the last game, and was late to the field prior to the game. I know, not very good team leadership I was whining about a few blogs ago. Actually, I was excited to see one of my junior co-workers get the call. I was the one who got him interested in Rugby and have been impressed with the drive and heart he has shown. He started at Flanker for the first time last week when I could not be at the game because of a previously scheduled event.



It is my understanding that he played a hell of a game last week displaying a lot of aggression and talent. I think he is finally starting to feel comfortable enough with the position and the game to play in a proactive manner instead of being reactionary. The impressive part is he has started that natural transition after only a few games. It has taken my a few seasons. I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks; it just takes longer.



Although we lost again we keep showing improvement as a team. Unfortunately, the season is not 16 weeks long. For example, this Saturday was the first time this season we had a lead. Jeff, playing scrumhalf instead of back, made a spectacular run up the middle and set up an easy conversion kick for Andy. The Riot struggled to move against our defense but got an easy tying score when we miss-handled the ball. We held tight from there until about the 32nd minute. Around the 32:00 minute mark they scored their second try. From that point on their skill and speed took advantage of our inexperience and lack of conditioning.



I got into the game at about the 55-minute mark. I felt healthy and was on an adrenaline high from playing spectator, cheerleader, and sideline coach for the better part of the afternoon. I felt I had a good game, making half a dozen tackles and agressively attacking into the rucks. In fact, the game was one of my more consistent games. I only missed one tackle that I can remember. Unfortunately, the runner took it downfield for 5 points. I played penalty free, which is a rare occasion.



Probably, the biggest thing was the epiphany that for the first time the it seemed game slowed down a bit and I felt I began to anticipate the action of the field. I was able to position myself for the play without having to sprint all over the pitch. The game is still at a speed where I am myopic as to only what’s in front of me, especially on offense, but I Saturday I felt more comfortable defensively than I ever have. It is a good- no GREAT feeling dropping a guy 20 pounds heavier than you when he trys to run you over or give you the slip. I felt like Paul Emerick (USA Eagles Wing and former Chicago Lion) after he dropped that Italian dude in the World Cup.



We gave up three tries while I was on the field and our guys were exhausted and flustered. However, several of the rookie players took it as a challenge and began to stoke the team’s fires late in the game. I think this was one of the reasons I left the field feeling a bit euphoric despite the defeat. The new guys are stepping-up and becoming the key factor to our success. They continue to improve individually and as a team we are starting to congeal. If we can keep the team focused, motivated, and together we will be a contender by next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment